Tuesday 1 May 2018

TRANSITION UNIT: Test Shoot

Today we did a test shoot for our project. The aim of the day was to try out the script in practice to work out what shots will be required for the narrative of the piece.

As writer / director of our group, Alex wrote the script.




As Director of Photography, I then took this script to begin thinking about how to block out shots. I didn't make a shot list or storyboard for the test shoot as the purpose of this test shoot was to try out which shots would be needed, however, I did use my research into documentaries and mockumentaries to inform my decisions about which shots to try out.

The first thing we wanted to try out on the shoot was the camera angles and lighting for the interview segments. This was mainly for my benefit as director of photography as I had the opportunity to play around with the camera and lighting settings to work out which gave the best look. It was also a good opportunity to re-familiarise myself with camera equipment after being producer on the last project.

For the interview segments I used a two camera set up with a Canon 60D and a Canon 700D and two Rode directional microphones - one positioned near the subject and the other attached to the camera. I matched the settings on the cameras; I used f/6.3, ISO1600 and a shutter speed of 1/100 and then white balanced both cameras. I also used two Interfit Softbox lights to light the subject.


One camera was used for a wide shot of the subject whilst the other was used for a close up - using this two camera set up will allow the editor to edit more seamlessly between these clips (rather than having to use the same camera to film the two different angles).


Aidan ran through his lines as Dr. Stewart (however, as we didn't have access to our location for his scenes, we used the location for Sheila's home). Melissa will then piece these together to test how the two cameras can be switched between. Alex then ran through Sheila's lines - footage of Sheila and Coco will then be layered over the top in the edit - testing this part will allow Melissa to test piecing together the interview with the sequences of Shelia and Coco.

Having reviewed these clips, I think I should have used a lower ISO as the quality of the image isn't as sharp as it could be and there is evident noise in the footage. To then compensate for the darkness of the footage I could have used a slower shutter speed and a wider aperture as well as increasing the light coming from the soft box lighting. This is something I have learnt from the test shoot and will carry through to the actual shoot.

The second thing we tested was the sequences of 'Sheila' and Coco playing fetch. This was useful for me to again test the camera settings but this time in an outdoor environment with bright natural light. I kept varying the camera settings used to try and get the optimum image - I have decided that the best route to go is using a medium ISO of 400, an aperture of f/8 then using a slower shutter speed like 1/60 - this will give a bright yet good quality image which can then be manipulated in post production to give the idyllic look required for these shots. The trickiest thing about these shots was keeping the footage in focus whilst a lot of movement was occurring. Following the dog and 'Sheila' playing fetch meant the focus needed to be constantly adjusted to keep a clear and sharp image - the best way to ensure the footage is in focus is to block out the rough movement of the shots beforehand (however, this can be difficult when working with animals). I was also getting used to using a new piece of equipment - a shoulder mount. At first I found this difficult to use as instead of adjusting the focus on the camera, I was using a focus puller as well as trying to keep the camera steady. I did get used to this equipment and feel it will work well for these shots as I was able to achieve some good quality, steady footage which would otherwise have been rough handheld footage. The steadiness of this footage will be effective in portraying the idyllic look required for these shots.


The next thing to test shoot was the blood splatter. In the script, it is described the blood splatters on Dr. Stewart's face - we wanted to test this to see how easy this would be to create. At first, we used a Lucozade bottle to spray fake blood onto Aidan's face. However, this didn't provide an intense enough blood splatter - it was very weak and not very effective on camera. We revised this method and next tested a water gun to squirt the fake blood onto Aidan's face. This was far more effective - we were able to control the aim and amount of blood splattered better and provide a more intense squirt. This will be more effective in representing the blood splatter for the surgery as it more closely resembles blood squirting from an artery. The camera settings I used for this were f/11, ISO400 and a shutter speed of 1/60 - this created a good quality image that I was very happy with. However, this scene will actually be shot inside with more dramatic lighting so the camera settings are likely to change. Although, using these camera settings did help to inform my decision to use similar settings for the shots of 'Sheila' and coco playing fetch outside so testing these settings was still of use to me (but the main purpose of testing this scene was to test the blood splatter).



As we know we want to use dramatic, clinical lighting for the surgery scene, we thought we would test this. To emulate the overhead light on the surgery table, we used a small LED light and turned this up to its highest setting. We then used another small LED light on a lower setting from below to fill in some of the shadows. The camera settings I used for this were ISO800, aperture f/4.0 and a shutter speed of 1/60. This created a very dramatic look which I was extremely happy with - once the set is dressed and Aidan is in costume, this will look very realistic as a vet's operating theatre. Ideally, the look of this footage would have a more clinical feel which would mean a cooler lighting tone - however, we decided this would be done better in post production to prevent lowering the image quality.


Now that we have performed our test shoot, I will make a storyboard and shot list for our shoot - this will help to ensure that we capture all necessary shots for the narrative of our project. Once I have made my storyboard and shot list, I will send this to the director for any additions / amendments to ensure his vision as director is fulfilled. The shot list and storyboard will also be helpful for the editor as they will understand how the footage is intended to look and will inform their decision of how to piece it together.

What I have learnt from the test shoot

- Having not been behind the camera at all for the last project I was a little rusty with the camera settings which meant I made a few avoidable mistakes. I used a too high ISO for the interview footage meaning there was noise in the footage - this will be fixed for the shoot by using a lower ISO and more lighting from the light sources as well as a slower shutter speed and a wider aperture.

- Retaining focus on a moving subject (especially an animal) is difficult but can be worked around by blocking out movement before shooting the footage - this highlights the importance of a shot list.

- I have learnt how to use a new piece of equipment - the shoulder mount. This allowed me to get some steady footage whilst following moving subjects. Without a shoulder mount, this footage would have been very rough as I would have had to shoot this handheld. The smooth, steady shots will add to the idyllic nature of this sequence which highlights how useful this piece of equipment is.

- Communication with other members of the team is important in order to get the best outcome. I communicated with the director to ensure the shots that I was envisioning were in line with what he wanted as director. I also communicated with the editor about the best way to handle the look of some of the footage e.g. with the dramatically lit surgery scene we agreed I would focus on the dramatic lighting and framing of the scene and allow the editor to adjust the colouring in post production to make the image look more clinical.

No comments:

Post a Comment