Tuesday 26 March 2019

MAJOR-PROJECT UNIT: (Research) Editing the Fine Cut in Premiere Pro

As I haven't been the editor for a project for a while, I decided to conduct some research into Adobe Premiere Pro to familiarise myself with the programme once again so that I could work on the edit as efficiently and effectively as possible. I also want to perform some editing techniques that I haven't done before on Adobe Premiere Pro - such as adding a colour grade - so I wanted to ensure I knew how to add things like LUTs to the footage as this is an important part of the colour grading process and affects the visual quality of the final product.

Simple Editing Techniques

Although I join the edit at the fine cut stage, I still thought it would be a good idea to look into inserting clips into the timeline even though this should all be done during the rough cut stage of the project (which would mean I would not need to do any of this). However, I may choose to replace certain clips that the rough cut editor has chosen to insert so it will be handy for me to know how to insert and overwrite clips onto a timeline.

There are several way to add clips to a sequence in Premiere Pro [1]:

- drag the clip from the bin

- drag the clip from the source monitor

- use the insert (,) and overwrite (.) buttons in the source monitor

- drag the clip from the media browser into the programme monitor

The overwrite edit adds the clip by replacing the frames already in the sequence whilst the insert edit adds a clip to the sequence by splitting and forcing clips to shift to accommodate the new clip.

If clips are dragged onto the timeline, the overwrite tool is automatically chosen.

There are then different editing tools to use when the clips are in the sequence [2]:

The selection tool allows you to select specific edit points and perform trims on the clips.

The track select tool allows you to select all the clips in a sequence instead of selecting one clip at a time.

The ripple edit tool allows you to trim a clip and ripple the rest of the clips in the timeline to close the gap between any edit points.

The rolling edit tool allows you to trim a clip by moving an edit point either forward or backwards in the sequence.

The rate stretch tool allows you to either speed up or slow down the clip.

The blade tool allows you to cut a clip wherever you use the tool.


Applying LUTs To Footage

The technique I found on how to apply LUTs in Premiere Pro assumes you already have the LUT you want to apply (otherwise you would need to add the step of finding the appropriate LUT to use for your footage). I already know which LUT I want to use as I used it in the pre-production (using Final Cut Pro to apply it) to test which look I wanted to go for to achieve my desired natural yet cinematic look.

To apply a LUT in Premiere Pro, you need to select either the clip or adjustment layer you wish to work with. Then select the lumetri panel and open the basic correction tab within this panel. In the basic correction tab, there is an input LUT dropdown menu. Once you click on this menu, there is the option to browse for your desired LUT. You then select the LUT of choice and this is applied to the clip / adjustment layer. The LUT can then be altered within the basic correction tab. [3]

Within Adobe Premiere Pro, there is only the option to apply one LUT per clip / adjustment layer. If you wish to apply more LUTs to a clip, more adjustment layers must be created to provide a medium to apply this LUT to.

This is a similar technique to the technique I used to apply the LUT in Final Cut Pro so it should not be too much of a complex task to apply the LUT in Premiere Pro to achieve the look I want.


Sources:


[1] https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/premiere-pro/using/adding-clips-sequences.html

[2] https://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/an-in-depth-look-at-the-adobe-premiere-pro-editing-tools/

[3] https://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/adding-luts-in-premiere-pro/

No comments:

Post a Comment