Wednesday 1 May 2019

MAJOR-PROJECT UNIT: Fine Cut 3

Following our own VET-MAN group viewing session and the group crit feedback session, changes have been made to the production to produce the third fine cut. This cut will be shown to Nathan Caws on the grade day to get his opinion and feedback on the project so that VET-MAN can reach its best potential quality.

In this cut, as per one of the flagged changes to be made, music was added to scene 1, 4, 10 and 13. I sat with the director to decide on the music to be used to ensure the music was the correct tone to convey the atmosphere of each of these scenes / emphasise the comedy within these scenes as well as ensuring the music was correct to the tone of the entire production. It was important that I sat with the director to decide this as my vision for the production is mainly visual as my main role is director of photography - whereas, the director has a vision for the production as a whole and would, therefore, have a better idea of what music would fit the tone of the production. This is something I learnt through my research into working with the director - the director has a vision of the production as a whole (rather than only having a vision for a specific aspect of the production), so there needs to be constant communication to ensure this vision is being delivered and not just my individual vision as director or photography.

Previously, we have exported the cuts at 720p to reduce the time of the render process, however, I thought it would be a good idea to export this cut at 1080p as this is the quality at which we will be exporting the final product. I thought it would be a good idea to do this to ensure the whole project renders properly so that it appears as high quality as intended. In the previous renders, due to rendering at 720p clips that have been cropped appear a much lower quality to those that have been left their full size - this is something I put down to rendering at the lower quality so I wanted to ensure this was in fact the case by rendering this cut at the full 1080p quality (to see if this fixed the problem of the cropped images appearing a lower quality). Rendering at 1080p did fix this issue - it was good to test this as I now know that rendering the finished project at 1080p will display the project at a good quality. Although I shot in 4K, I am exporting in 1080p due to the cropping of certain clips as this will ensure a consistent quality in the visuals throughout.

3rd Fine Cut:



After our session with Nathan Caws, I will apply any further feedback in order to improve the production before exporting the final cut of VET-MAN.

No comments:

Post a Comment