Tuesday 31 January 2017

DIRECTIONS UNIT: (Project Prep) Storyboarding and Shot Listing

In oder to gain a better visual idea of how I wanted my final product to turn out, I storyboarded my ideas over 5 sides of A4 paper. 



Although my storyboard was only rough, it helped me to figure out where to position my actors, where to position the camera and ultimately where I wanted the audience to be positioned within the scene in order for them to feel the mood set in the scene.

I decided to start in a bit of an unconventional manner - I didn’t start with the typical establishing shot, instead I decided to start with a close up of Juliet knocking on the glass. I wanted this to spark the question of where she is - who’s house is she knocking at?

After this I then opted for the wide shot in order to establish the location and the characters’ relationship to each other. After this I then chose to go in with shot reverse shots in order to show their conversation. I wanted this to contrast to the end of the scene where I use mainly wide shots in order to convey the awkwardness of the atmosphere and situation.

For the scene at Juliet’s doorway I decided to go for mainly medium shots. I added in a few close up shots as well in order to emphasise these parts of the scene e.g. ‘To me, you are perfect’. This emphasises the effect of this line and shows Mark’s strong feelings towards Juliet.


Storyboarding my script really enabled me to visualise how I wanted to film my production. It also made me realise what shots I would need to capture on shoot day. Knowing these shots in advance helps with the scheduling of the shoot day as I know what shots need to be captured in which locations - the shoot day can be structured around which coverage is needed.






No comments:

Post a Comment