Saturday 11 February 2017

DIRECTIONS UNIT: (Project Prep) Production Design

I found having to come up with my own production design very daunting. Having always been a fan of directors such as Wes Anderson, I felt an immense pressure to come up with a production design as unique as some of the production designs from his films. However, what I have realised is that I just needed to figure out mood / tone I wanted to convey within my piece. I then just needed to decide how best to represent this mood and tone. 

I went about creating a mind map of ideas, so that I could get all my ideas down in one place. 





As colour has always been one of the key aspects of my production design, I knew I needed to think of how to introduce colour into the set design and costume design. In order to find the best way to do this I conducted some research into set and costume design to see the common codes and conventions used to create a romantic atmosphere. As I wanted to convey an underlying romantic atmosphere rather than a completely romantic atmosphere, I will take certain aspects from the codes and conventions of a stereotypical romantic atmosphere and use them in splashes within my set and costume design. I always knew I wanted to use red as a key directorial focus, however, I was unsure how I could introduce the colour. The research I conducted helped me to develop my idea to come up with the costume design of using mainly red clothing for Juliet and the set design of having a few red props dotted around.

Full blog posts on costume design and set design can be found here:

No comments:

Post a Comment