Tuesday 28 February 2017

DIRECTIONS UNIT: Shooting 'Love Actually'

After weeks of planning, I shot my re creation of Love Actually on the 13th February.

Everything had been thoroughly planned out in order to make the day run as smoothly as possible.

8:30 am - I picked up my actress from her house and drove her back to the location.

9:30 am - My crew (Alex Hargood) turned up on time.

9:40 am - I gave my actress her first costume (a white bardot top, a flower headband and a veil) to get changed into ready for the shoot of the wedding video. We then started to film the first clips for the wedding video. The majority of these were shot in the back garden of my house, however, a few of them were shot just in front of the church in my local area. This took about 45 minutes - 1 hour to film.

10: 30 am - We finished shooting the clips for the wedding video. I then gave my actress her second costume (a red top with flower embroidery, a red jacket and jeans) to get changed into ready for the first scene. Whilst we waited for the other actor to turn up, I ran through the script with her and blocked out her movements with her. My actress was very nervous, however, as the day progressed she became more relaxed and comfortable in the role.

11:00 am - My actor showed up on time, ready in his outfit for the first scene (a big jumper and jeans). I then introduced him to the actress and had a 5-10 minute chat with both of them so that a calm and comfortable atmosphere was created.

11:20 am - I then ran through the script with the actor and blocked out his movements with him. This was fairly straight forward due to the markings I had put on the floor to show their positions. I had also sent my actors the screenplay for the shoot a week prior to shooting so that they were already familiar with their lines.

11:30 am - I then decided to run through the whole scene with the actors so that they were comfortable and confident with what they needed to do before we started filming. I also showed them where I would be standing as the director and where the crew, camera and microphone would be. This just helped to familiarise the actors with the set.

11:50 am - We were then ready to shoot the first take of the first scene. However, once we shot this, we realised the camera could have been positioned slightly differently in order to get the optimum coverage of the scene.

12:00 pm - We then set up the camera slightly higher on the tripod, this gave a much better look as 'Juliet's' head was not cut off when she moved closer to the chair to sit down. We then shot the second take of the first scene. This visually looked better than the first scene, however, the actors made a few errors in their dialogue (errors which could not be fixed without reshooting).

12:10 pm - We then decided to go in for the third take. This take again had errors in dialogue so we reshot it again.

12:20 pm - On the fourth take we finally got the shot with all the correct dialogue.

12:50 pm - We then decided to move on to getting all the other coverage for the shoot. This other coverage included; both the characters' entrances to the scene, medium / close up shots for both of the characters during the scene, another wide angle shot for the whole scene, close up of the DVD collection and an overhead shot of putting the DVD into the DVD player.

13:20 pm - We then decided to break for some food. We also took this time to get to know each other better, this really helped the second half of the shoot to flow better as we were all a lot more comfortable around each other - this meant the performances from the actors was a lot more natural which gave a better overall look.

13:50 pm - We then decided to get straight back into shooting. I gave the actress her third outfit (a red jumper and jeans) for her to get changed into for the scene at the door. The actor just wore the same outfit as the first scene but with a coat over the top.

14:00 pm - We then set up the camera on the tripod at the same height as the actors. We then also put a dead cat windshield on the microphone in order to prevent the wind interfering with the sound too much. We then decided to start shooting the first take of the second scene. I decided to shoot it all with the camera facing 'Mark' first. This only took a few takes due to the scene having no dialogue whatsoever for the actor. I decided to get the scene in a variety of different shot sizes.

14:20 pm - After getting all the footage facing 'Mark', I then decided to get all the footage of 'Juliet'. Again this was really simple due to her only having a couple of lines of dialogue. I decided to get the footage in a variety of different shot sizes as well.



14:35 pm - We ran into a little bit of a problem when it came to 'Juliet' running up behind 'Mark' at the end of the scene. Whichever way we shot it, it looked awkward and unnatural. Therefore, we decided to change the ending slightly and just have her saying "wait" at the door.

14:45 pm - Before letting the actors go, I decided to go over the footage to check that I had everything that I needed. I decided that I needed a little bit more footage at the door.

15:00 pm - After getting the extra footage, I decided to wrap the shoot.

After reviewing all the footage properly at the end of the day, I realised that the quality of the sound in my production was not as good as it could have been. However, I assumed this would be the case as I was unable to get another person to be my sound operator so I had to make do with a rode microphone on top of a DSLR. In future, I will make sure my crew are secured so that I do not run into the same issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment