Saturday 25 November 2017

FICTION ADAPTATION: Actors, Locations and Equipment

Although I have had to adapt my project proposal, the actors, locations and equipment I wish to use remain the same (with the addition of a male actor as I have had to add a character in my project).

Cast:


Ellie will be playing my main character 'Ellie'. I have decided to keep the characters and actors' names the same as their names do not feature in the film. I used Ellie in my Directions Unit so I know she works well with the camera and with being directed. I wanted this character to be very fresh looking and natural - Ellie fit this description perfectly.

Ellie (the main character) is the 20 year old girlfriend of James. She calls James on her way home from work stating that she will be a bit late, only to be involved in a car crash moments later.

We follow her throughout the film as she drops roses to guide James along her path. She is showing him that she is still present all around him even if she is not there in body. The characters reunite at the end, however, Ellie flickers away. This symbolises James accepting that she is there with him in spirit.



James will be playing my other character 'James'. I wanted this character to have a more mature look with a thoughtful, caring nature - James fit this description.

James (the secondary character) is the 21 year old boyfriend of Ellie. We follow James at the beginning as he finds out the fate of his girlfriend. The rest of the film is spent showing James following Ellie through different locations.

James is in a state of shock for the majority of the film. He is in shock at first at the scene of the car crash. Then later he is in shock / disbelief that he can see his girlfriend Ellie.

My biggest consideration when casting these roles was making sure they looked as if they could be a couple. They don't feature in any shots together until the very end of the adaptation so it must be clear to the audience that they were a couple when Ellie was still alive. I have confidence that both my characters will perform well.


Locations:

The main locations will be outside in nature as inspired by the poem. The only inside location will be the house in which the character James lives. For this I will use my own house with its simple design as it will suit the character.



I want a country lane as one of my locations - this features many different aspects of nature such as bushes, leaves, birds etc. I wanted this location to represent the general natural theme of the sonnet, whereas, my other locations mirror more specific pieces of the sonnet.



I also want a wooded area for my shoot. Ideally, I would like sunlight to flicker through the branches to represent the 'sunlight on ripened grain'. However, this depends on the weather on the day of the shoot. Even if the weather doesn't cooperate, this location will still help to portray the imagery of nature which is prevalent in the sonnet.



The final natural location I wanted to feature was an open windy field. This will represent the line 'a thousand winds that blow'. Again, this is weather dependent but will still make a good location if the weather doesn't cooperate.



In all of these locations I would like the setting to be blue toned / desaturated whilst the character is warmer in tone / more saturated. I want the main colours featured to be blues / purples for the backgrounds and oranges / pinks for the characters. I would like these to contrast but compliment each other. This is outlined in my mood board / visual design.

Equipment:

For my shoot I wish to use a DSLR as we have been using these in our experimental workshops and I am very comfortable using it. I also want to do my project handheld, therefore I feel the DSLR will be better than a panasonic which could get very heavy if being used for constant handheld shots.

I will be applying certain techniques with the DSLR which I discovered in the workshops such as:
- circling around the subject to create a sense of confusion
- following / tracking a subject
- handheld footage

I also feel I can achieve the visual look I want easier with a DSLR as I am more familiar with the settings and therefore know how to set the camera so that I can get the most out of the shot both whilst shooting and in post production.



No comments:

Post a Comment