Tuesday 21 November 2017

FICTION ADAPTATION: Project Proposal Feedback

Today Mike provided me with some feedback for my project proposal:

The main advice was to find a clearer structure / narrative as at the moment there is no narrative - just a series of shots. The shots I have thought of will work well if there is a story to link them together.

Finding a narrative - is the character on a journey? Are we following them? Why are we following them?

At the moment it feels like the poem is being used for exposition which is not the idea - the idea is to use the poem for inspiration and adapt it into a visual narrative. This was not my intention but I can see how my proposal suggested I would use the poem for exposition.

My main idea that I wanted to stick with was that I wanted to follow a character who has actually passed away - my idea was to show them being present and absent from the same shot and flicker between them using different opacity. Mike liked this idea and suggested further ways I could show my character being absent - e.g. showing them with no reflection in a window or in a puddle or showing the character being obviously ignored.

Mike liked the idea of playing around with different saturations of shots, I will retain this in my developed project proposal.

I think I have a good idea of what visual qualities I would like my adaptation to possess but I haven't given enough thought to the narrative.

Following Mike's advice I will:
- form a clearer narrative
- figure out the character's journey
- perhaps bring in another character (so that I can show my deceased character being ignored)
- think about what camera movements and experimental techniques I can use in my project

No comments:

Post a Comment