Thursday 23 November 2017

FICTION ADAPTATION: Mood Board and Visual Design

Below are some images which I found inspiration in for the visual design of my project. I knew from the start that I wanted to play with saturation and contrast. I then decided that ideally I would like to use blue / purple colours for the background / setting shots and contrast this with orange tones in the characters. Due to this desire to use the colour orange in the characters, I selected orange roses for my character to drop as a trail.

I like the idea of using coloured gels on lights to create this sharp contrast between colours, however, I do not think this will be possible or practical on a shoot involving following characters through several locations. Instead, I will use this idea in post production and play with colours in the edit to enhance the purples in the backgrounds and the oranges in the characters.

I also like the idea of using costumes to contrast the colours. I want the orange roses to contrast with Ellie's outfits - therefore she will be dressed in dull colours to enhance the brightness of the roses. She will be dressed in a brown fur coat - this also adds to the softness / naturalness of her characters. James will be dressed in a bright pink shirt in the beginning to contrast with the dull blue atmosphere.

I also found shots with layered opacity. I like the look of the shots being spread apart - I will try this in my own project. My original plan was just to flicker between Ellie being present / absent / translucent but positioned in the same place - I may now try to position her at different points in the frame. This adds a dream like / hallucination look which I think is quite appropriate to the narrative as James is supposed to be dazed / confused whilst following her.



No comments:

Post a Comment